Born in Calcutta to a family of travellers, Varun was exposed to rock-climbing, trekking and the towering beauty of the Himalayas at a very young age. As a natural extension of his travels, at age eight he took to the camera to document what he saw. A few hundred rolls of film later, his journey continued through a Bachelor of Arts degree from College of Wooster in Ohio, a job as an animator in New York, and a diploma in Photography from Light & Life Academy in Ooty, India.
Based out of Chennai, India, he works as a freelance professional photographer undertaking assignments in architecture, portraiture, fashion and advertising. His hunger for making images remains a constant in his life, blurring the lines between work and play. His personal work, a reflection of his nomadic existence, evolves with steady progress in its artistic expression. Galleries in Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata, New Delhi, Kochin and Pondicherry have shown his photographs.
- Jan 5th to 25th 2009: ‘Horizon-An apparent line’ at Apparao Galleries, Chennai.
- Feb 5th to Feb 28th 2009. ‘Wanderlust- Traveling Lens’ at Goethe Institut, Chennai.
- March 14-30th 2009. ‘Wanderlust to the Horizon’ at Apparao Galleries, New Delhi.
- Nov 4th to 11th 2009. ‘Give into Wanderlust’ at Weavers Gallery, Kolkata.
- Aug 28th to Oct 6th 2010. Wanderlust to the Horizon – Made in Gallery, Pondicherry.
- Nov 12th to 30th 2010 – In Search of Solitude – Apparao Galleries – New Delhi.
- Dec 3rd to 12th 2010 – Wanderlust to the Horizon – David Hall Gallery, Kochin.
- November 2011 – In Search of Solitude – Ganges Art Gallery, Kolkata.
- March 2012 – In Search of Solitude alongside works of Pablo Bartholomew – Art Chennai 2012 – Lakshana Art Gallery, Chennai.
- June 2009 – Apparao Galleries, New Delhi – Cuisines of India (Kitchens of Kashmir)
- September 2009 – Apparao Galleries, Chennai – Marco Polo show (images of Tibet)
- December 2009 – Apparao Galleries, Bangalore – India Documented
- May 2010 – Apparao Galleries – Night Lights (iPhone photo-essay)
- March 2011 – Image:Revisited – Art Chennai 2011
- March 2012 – Group Photography Exhibition – Art Chennai 2012